RIP Father Augustine Measures, O.S.B.
Father Augustine Measures, O.S.B.
1927 – 2017
Father Augustine Measures, O.S.B., a monk of Ampleforth Abbey, died peacefully in York Hospital on Feb. 9, 2017, at the age of 89.
He was born in Wembley in November 1927 and educated in Welbury and at Ampleforth College. From 1946-1948 he was an Army (Tanks) Radio Instructor, before joining the monastic community at Ampleforth Abbey in September 1948. Father Augustine studied at Saint Benet’s Hall at the University of Oxford from 1951-1955, and was ordained a priest in July 1959.
Later that summer, along with Father Paul, he joined the Ampleforth Foundation of Saint Louis Priory (now Abbey). Arriving on the Queen Mary, they were greeted by Father Timothy, who drove them to Portsmounth Abbey in Rhode Island and Saint Anselm’s Abbey in Washington, D.C. (the only other English Benedictine Houses in the United States) before heading cross country to St. Louis. Given the nickname “Owl” by some of the Priory students (due to the fact that his round face and glasses gave him an owlish look), Father Augustine taught Classics during his time with us. In later years, whenever a monk of Saint Louis Abbey would visit him in England, Father Augustine spent more time asking questions about St. Louis instead of sharing his reminiscences about his time at Priory.
Father Augustine returned to North Yorkshire in 1964 and became Senior Classics Master at Ampleforth College before moving to parish ministry in Bamber Bridge in 1968. For nearly forty years, Father Augustine continued to serve on parish missions in Cardiff, Warrington, and Brindle, before returning to Saint Benedict’s Monastery at Bamber Bridge in 1999.
One of Father Augustine’s great passions was the radio, and in the late 1960s he qualified for and obtained a Radio Amateur License. In 2006, he began sending out daily audio homilies to more than 250 listeners and websites around the world.
Poor health led to Father Augustine’s return to Ampleforth Abbey in June 2014, where he resided in the monastery infirmary until his death.